Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.
92155571

I have an 11 month old medium size goat she is pregnant and

Customer Question

I have an 11 month old medium size goat she is pregnant and should (going by the 150 days) have delivered on Wednesday. She had white mucus discharge 2 weeks ago, and has had mushy tail for months, this morning her vulva has started loosening, but she has not bagged up. Do you think things are OK, How long should it be
JA: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the goat?
Customer: No she is a healthy little thing but not as lovey as she was
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. Pregnancy, labor and delivery can be very nervewracking! There is definitely some variation in that 150 days. Just like people, some goats will have a shorter gestation length and some will be longer. All of the signs you mentioned are normal signs that she is getting ready to deliver. Another one would be if the baby drops down, making her sides look sunken in. As far as the bagging up, some goats, especially first time kidders may not bag up until after she delivers, so that is normal.

Her change in behavior, the not being as lovey, can be a sign that she is getting ready as well. Typically as labor gets closer, does will separate themselves from the group and may become more agitated. She may also increase her activity level.

As long as she is eating well, doesn't seem to be stressed and you can see fetal movement, give her another 2-3 days before you start to worry. If she presents with any of these signs, it would be time to see a vet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You said if she presented with any of these signs, what signs
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 month ago.

The not eating, stress or no fetal movement.