Katherine Marcath
Katherine Marcath,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Southwest Michigan Animal Emergency Hospital and Veterinary Referral Center

I have a 1.5 year old wether that is acting very strange. He

Customer Question

I have a 1.5 year old wether that is acting very strange. He is standing with his legs far apart and hiding between the barns. I noticed that he keeps tensing up like he's dry heaving but nothing comes out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I was just trimming hooves. I didn't see anything that stood out but he did cry a little when I was trimming his front right hoof
JA: What is the wether's name?
Customer: Fernando
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fernando?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Katherine Marcath replied 18 days ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Katie. How long has it been since you have seen him urinate?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
One day
Expert:  Katherine Marcath replied 17 days ago.

It sound like this could be a urethral obstruction, meaning that he is unable to urinate. This is a medical emergency. Wethers can develop urinary stones that become lodged at the tip of the penis. This blocks any urine from escaping the bladder. This causes damage to the kidneys and toxins build up in the body. He needs the obstruction relieved as soon as possible or he could die.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Do you think it could also be bloat? He has a tendency to get into the chicken food. That's where I found him today.

If you haven't seen him urinate in more than 12 hours and he keeps posturing with his legs wide and tensing up his abdomen like he is heaving, I would be most concerned about urinary blockage. I would say that a bloat is possible, but based on the information you have provided, I would be most concerned about urinary blockage.

What kind of diet is he on?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
They eat hay and some grain as well as black oil sunflower seeds and occasionally kitchen scraps like watermelon etc. he hasn't had anything new recently.

Diets that have a large amount of grain and low amount of roughage (hay), can predispose goats and sheep to forming bladder stones. When the animal tries to urinate, the stone gets stuck at the tip of the penis (the narrowest point).

Other symptoms would be tail flagging, looking at his side (painful abdomen), lethargy, lack of appetite, swollen abdomen.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He really doesn't look all that swollen and he did eat hay today- but I had to bring it to him. He stood in the same spot most of the day though which is how I noticed something seemed off. He stands like a dog at a dog show and normally he would be very inquisitive but today he just stood there even when I entered the fence. I tried to rub his stomach on the left side and he ran away.

Based on his posturing and described behavior, I am still concerned about his urination. If he does not urinate, he will likely die. Once an animal goes more than 12 hours without urinating, veterinarians become concerned. Please pay attention to his urination habits. If he does not urinate in the next 2-3 hours and continues to posture stretched out as described, I would have him checked by veterinarian.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay thank you

Best wishes! Hope your wether is doing better soon!

If you have a moment, please provide a rating regarding the service you received today.

Expert:  Katherine Marcath replied 14 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katherine Marcath