Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

I rescued a pot belly pig and I have not been able to cut

Customer Question

I rescued a pot belly pig and I have not been able to cut her hooves...she is having difficulty walking. She needs to be sedated and I cannot find a vet in my area that will take care of her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the pig bleeding a lot?
Customer: not bleeding at all.
JA: What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: petunia about 6
JA: What is the pig's name?
Customer: petunia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about petunia?
Customer: not right there nyway I can sedate her.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 22 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Sorry it has taken so long to get to your question. There are a couple possibilities. One is that your vet may prescribe Acepromazine tablets that you can feed to Petunia so she will be sedated. Most Large animal vets will come to your home and inject anesthesia so call around to a few more in your area. The other possibility is to hire a farrier for horses...many of them can handle petunia without having to tranquilize her.

The next thing is you can give Benadryl at 1-2 mg per pound of Petunia's weight. This will make her drowsy enough that you may be able to trim her hooves.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****