Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

I have a [ angus ]who has eaten some clover and is bloaded,

Customer Question

I have a bull[ angus ]who has eaten some clover and is bloaded , could you advise any answers please thanking you.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 16 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to answer your question and this may be too late but I will give you some advice just in case you are still having some issues with your bull.

This bloat is caused by excessive carbohydrates allowing the production of gas producing bacteria that is cauisng the bloat. The first thing is to use a garden hose or tube to attempt to release this gas. Then give 1 gallon of mineral oil that will neutralize the gas producing bacteria to stop this. It will help your bull to give a dose of Banamine if you have this available to reduce the inflammation on his digestive tract. You may have to continue to give the mineral oil every 6 hrs or so to stop this production and attempt to release the gas if it is still present.

Frothy bloat will require different medications and you should remove the bull from the pasture immediatley and give him high fiber feeds.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 14 days ago.
Hi Ross,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mj. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta