Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

I have a 4 month old boer doe with diarrhea. she has had

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old boer doe with diarrhea. she has had this problem off and on for a couple of weeks. can't stop it. Her temp is normal, she has energy and seems to be eating fine.
any suggestions on stopping this?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 23 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Floppy!

Now I am glad to hear that you have wormed her. Still, if we have a chronic diarrhea that isn't settling with the treatment you have noted, then we do need to be more aggressive here. Especially since worming won't address bacteria, viruses and often cannot even clear protozoal agents.

With all this in mind, the ideal next step would be to have a fecal sample tested at this stage. Ideally, we'd want to have it checked for the above concerns and any hint of wormer resistance for what you have treated for. That way we can ensure nothing is being missed. Just to note, you can potentially submit this to the vet lab directly or via any local vet since the external lab will be able to test this even if the local vet doesn't treat goats. And based on their findings, we will know what is present and how we need to treat Floppy to get this settled.

Otherwise, further to your B vitamin supplementation, there are more steps you could be taking at home. To start, as long as the stools aren't bloody, you can you can consider starting her on Kaolin/Kaopectate. You can usually get this OTC at pharmacies as a liquid or most farm supply shops will carry the powdered version. We would just want to use a low dose to soothe his her inflamed gut and slow this diarrhea. As well, we'd also want to be supplementing her with OTC goat probiotics to help support her good gut bacteria that should be helping her gut digest and produce normal stools. And I'd note that once you have submitted a fecal sample, you could choose to use a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Spectinomycin, Penicillin) to cover the more common bacterial agents.

Finally, if you are seeing any signs of dehydration (sticky gums, skin tenting, sunken eyes), do make sure to be supplementing her fluid intake. Often we use electrolyte solutions (ie Resorb, Lectaid) to meet both her fluid intake needs and replenish those electrolytes that will be lost in her loose stool. That way we can prevent dehydration and weakness as we fight this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 21 days ago.
Hi Tim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Floppy. How is everything going?

Dr. B.