Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

I have a sick alpaca, He was found down in our pasture and

Customer Question

I have a sick alpaca
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the alpaca?
Customer: He was found down in our pasture and we tried to get him up, he tried to walk and kept falling on his front feet I have given him electrolytes and tried to take a temp unsuccessfully- I got 97.9 rectally
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I didn't see any wounds
JA: What is the alpaca's name and age?
Customer: Snowflake, 3-4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snowflake?
Customer: He has fair to poor skin turgor, very week
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to get to your question. This situation could be due to an injury or an infection since it appears that it has come on suddenly.This weakness that you see could be due to a metabolic problem such as low blood sugar or dehydration from an infection. It is important , since these signs tell us that this could be due to many things, that your vet run a battery of tests to determine the problem. For now, you are doing the right thing by giving Snowflake electrolytes but it may also help to give an anti inflammatory medication such as Banamine that will resolve pain issues and inflammation form whatever is causing this. Your vet can prescribe this for you.

I am sorry that I could not be more definitive but the symptoms are vague and require testing.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Jaime,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta