Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.

I have a lamb that has been bitten by a dog. He has about 4

Customer Question

I have a lamb that has been bitten by a dog. He has about 4 puncture marks, One is quite deep. all in the back hind. he is in shock I think. what should i use to clean the wounds with.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your lamb's troubles. A good wound cleaner is iodine. Dilute it down to a weak tea color. For the first cleaning you can mix it 50/50 with hydrogen peroxide to help carry it further down into the wound. Don't use the peroxide past the first cleaning however as it can cause tissue damage as healing starts. Use a syringe or bulb syringe to flush the wounds two to three times a day. After flushing you can put a triple antibiotic ointment in them as well.

You should also give an antibiotic since the wounds are very deep. Penicillin is a good one. The dose is 3.5-4 cc per 50 lbs given once daily for 5-7 days. Supportive care is also important, so providing lots of fresh feed and water and thick bedding. You should also encourage movement everyday as this can promote drainage to keep an infection from occurring.

If the lamb starts to run a fever, refuses to stand or loses his appetite, you should take him to a vet for possible prescription products.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!