Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

We just bred our female about 3 weeks ago and now she has a

Customer Question

We just bred our female about 3 weeks ago and now she has a discharge that looks like it might be infection of some sort. It's kind of a white discharge.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Does the white discharge have an odor?

Is she straining or passing small volumes of urine frequently?

How is she otherwise? Appetite loss, change in thirst, weight gain or loss?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She definitely has appetite loss. Not sure about odor, but the discharge is a very small amount...a stream about an inch in length and less than half the diameter of a pencil.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't noticed her straining
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now if you can check any further discharge for odor (and thus being pus) that would be advisable. Since the discharge was quite scant, it is possible this was just a mild vaginitis and we'd not rush to treat this. Though we do need to keep an eye for any straining (since bladder infections are not uncommon) or more pus-like discharge (as uterine infections are our main concern). As well, if you have not already, it'd be worth taking a rectal temperature of Licorice to make sure there is no fever present (>103.6 would be an indication of fever). If we have a fever or see more discharge, then Penicillin could be used. Though if there was only scant discharge on one occasion and she hasn't a fever, then we'd just monitor, tempt her to eat, and start antibiotics only if those parameters we are monitoring change.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think she will be okay. I haven't seen any discharge for a few days now, and I've seen her pee twice and she's not straining.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the update, my dear.

That is great news and hopefully it was just an immune system blip that her body has gotten settled for her.

Best wishes for you both,

***Afterwards, please rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )