Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

The baby calf has a swollen knee. Started swelling about a

Customer Question

The baby calf has a swollen knee. Started swelling about a week after we bought it. We have given it penicillin and nuflor, but to no satisfaction.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the baby's name and age?
Customer: No name - about six weeks old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about about?
Customer: No. It drinks it's milk and eats sweet feed. Just has a terrible time with that lone swollen knee joint.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

It is unfortunate to hear that this little one hasn’t responded to what are 2 good quality broad-spectrum antibiotics. If you have been dosing with an appropriate dose for its weight, given a full course, and there is no history of trauma to the knee (since fractures involving the joints can persist like this), then our best option here would be to have your vet take a sterile sample of the joint fluid. This can then be sent for bacterial culture/sensitivity and analysis. If infection is present, this will identify the agent present and what drugs it is vulnerable to; which will allow you to target treatment for what sounds to be a multi-drug resistance agent. At the same time, the cells present in the fluid can be analysed just in case this isn’t infectious (though that is rarely the case) and if so then your vet can carefully start anti-inflammatories for this little one to reduce its discomfort and the swelling associated with this joint.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.