Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.

My pot belly pig gave birth yesterday evening and today she

Customer Question

my pot belly pig gave birth yesterday evening and today she is not moving around at all, and letting me touch her which she never did before
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the pig. What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: I rescued her and they said she was a year old but not for sure
JA: What is the pig's name?
Customer: I just call her piggy, I have a lot of rescue animals
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the pig?
Customer: no she looks like her nose is runny and one of her eyes
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry for your concerns about Piggy.

First, how many piglets were delivered, & are they nursing & generally doing well? This would be an important clue in that my biggest concern would be any undelivered/retained babies.

It would be helpful to try & obtain her temperature rectally. Normal temp is around 99-100F.

If Piggy was acting & eating normal prior to her delivering her piglets, then we must assume something has gone wrong in the birthing process, & this is most often a stuck or malpositioned piglet, or uterine inertia. If your hand is small enough, & with enough lubrication, you may be able to reach into her vulva to see if a piglet is stuck. If you can feel a foot or tail, gentle traction may deliver the piglet, but quite honestly, it will be very tight in there. You will most likely need the assistance of a veterinarian, especially if this results in Piggy needing a C-section.

Please let me know what additional advice or information you may need. I will try to help as much as possible, but I think you will need to have your vet take a look at things.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda