CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have a 6 month old micro pig that was attacked by dogs

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old micro pig that was attacked by dogs tonight. All the dogs are current on shots. He has some pretty deep puncture wounds that I cleaned with saline and dressed with gauze bandage. The bleeding has stopped and he did eat and is walking around slowly. There is not an emergency vet nearby that can see him tonight. I do have keflex capsules and doxycycline powder that I keep stocked for animals. Can I start him on either tonight to prevent infection? And if so what dose. He weighs 19lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the stock?
Customer: I don't think so. he is moving around slowly and eating and drinking well. I will keep him in my room tonight.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Tiffany Bohlmann replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm sorry your little pig got attacked? Where are the wounds located at? Keflex and Doxycycline won't really help us here I'm afraid. Will definitely need to see a vet tomorrow. In the meantime, is he breathing ok? Eating?