Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.

Is the chemical Simazine toxic to Cattle when sprayed on

Customer Question

Is the chemical Simazine toxic to Cattle when sprayed on pastures
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the cattle ate?
Customer: The question is can the herbicide Simazine be toxic to Cattle when sprayed onto pastures
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cattle?
Customer: No.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. Yes, the chemical simazine is toxic to cattle. It is toxic if inhaled and ingested. The lethal dose for ingestion is around 500 mg per kg. It can also be toxic in smaller amounts if consumed over a long duration of time. Poisoned animals usually exhibit a decrease in appetite, increased water consumption and incoordination and tremors mainly in the hindlimbs. Death usually occurs within two weeks of ingestion.

Your best bet for working with this herbicide would be to spray pastures and keep cattle off of them for a few days until the chemical is good and dry. Also, don't spray pastures year after year with it and then let cattle graze it. The most common toxicities are when cattle are directly sprayed with the chemical or put on pasture while the chemical is still wet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!