CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

We have a 3 year old yak. He had a parasite 6 weeks ago

Customer Question

We have a 3 year old yak bull. He had a parasite 6 weeks ago protein was very low .3 should be about 6. Tested protein 3 weeks ago up to 4. Wormed at University of TN. Wormed again 2 weeks later. Giving B12 shot every 10 days. Eating but still not gaining weight and losing hair. All of the other animals are doing well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the animal can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the animal's name?
Customer: Razzle
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Razzle?
Customer: He was in good health this winter. Sired 5 calves that were all born healthy. Tested negative for Jones Disease, and parasite 3 weeks ago.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long ago was the last worming?

Has a stool sample been checked post-worming treatment (since it appears it was done before the wormer but perhaps not after)?

Are you supplementing his diet or is he on a normal ration? What are you feeding?