Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I am raising a bottle calf that is about 5 weeks old now. He

Customer Question

I am raising a bottle calf that is about 5 weeks old now. He has been doing fine with his bowel movements until yesterday, now he seems constipated. He had scours when we first got him on milk replacement and used an electrolyte powder to correct it. He's been going along just fine for 3 weeks and now he is straining to go and it's very hard and sticky. What should I do to loosen him back up without sending him right back to scours again? It's really hot here and j certainly don't want him getting dehydrated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the calf's name?
Customer: His name is Deuce
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Deuce?
Customer: No I don't think so
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** keep Deuce regular, we do have a few options. First, since over concentrated milk replacer is the top cause for this, we'd want to water down his milk. Otherwise, you can add a small dose of a GI lubricant (ie OTC lactulose, miralax, or food grade mineral oil). Just add a few milliliters to help get the hard stools passing without causing diarrhea again. Any loose stools and we'd drop the dose down until he is moving feces normally. Finally, we'd want to work to get him weaned onto hay. The sooner we do that the sooner we will get more fiber into him; which will help keep him regular and passing good quality stools.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.