Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a three year cow that has what sounds like an upper

Customer Question

I have a three year cow that has what sounds like an upper respiratory infection, I can hear her weasing when she breathes I have given her two treatments of Noromycin 300 LA over the last six days, she is better but still weasing, her appetite is good everything else seems normal should I give her anything else?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.

Now I am concerned to hear that she hasn't responded to this antibiotic course. It suggests that this is being caused by a resistant bacteria, viruses, parasites, or potentially an individual issue ( ie choke, aspiration pneumonia, etc). With this in mind, we'd be best to have her vet come out and listen to her chest. Otherwise, you'd want to make sure she is isolated from others to avoid any risk of spread, make sure she is treated for lungworm, consider changing antibiotics ( ie Draxin, Nuflor, Penicillin, etc), and adding in a cattle safe decongestant ( ie Bisolvin) and potentially an anti-inflammatory ( ie Flunixin). That way we are treating symptomatically but also covering as many bases as possible without testing ( the next step if this persists).

Please take care,
Dr. B
------------------------------------
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)