Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

Have 2 month old calf, has pneminia, took her to vet

Customer Question

have 2 month old calf, has pneminia, took her to vet Saturday, gave her her vaccinations, antibiotic shot an the dewormer. now belly swollen on both sides, wont eat or drink. Have been mixing calf milk powder in her grain (purina sweet grain). he is also on MSN joint the dr prescribed for her cough. Temp is normal, stool is good. I rescued her from a bad place and actually have her in the house until I find a place to board her long term. But I'm worried about the stomach.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the calf?
Customer: besides she is already spoiled, nothing comes to mind..
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken so long to answer your question. I hope your gal is still doing ok. This bloat that you see is most likely caused by gas producing bacteria which can be normal flora but have overgrown in your gal. It is important to attempt to pass a stomach tube which may release some of this gas. If you are not comfortable with this, you can give this calf mineral oil by mouth 1-2 cups every 4-6 hrs to help neutralize this gas producing bacteria.

I have also had good results giving human Gas X, 3-4 pills every 8 hrs to help decrease this gas production. Once she feels better, then she will eat. In the mean time, be sure to keep her hydrated by giving electrolytes every 6-8 hrs by mouth.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****