CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

How to treat anemic goats. I have been worming with Ivomec

Customer Question

How to treat anemic goats.
I have been worming with Ivomec with a double dose and three days in a row.
That is the only instructions I have from my Vet.
Can you HELP
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Are you using oral, injectable or topical ivomec?
2) How long have you been treating them?
3) Are all of them anemic?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1 oral
2 one month
3 yes

Thank you for your reply. It's often recommended not only to deworm once, but to continue deworming. If this deworming schedule was done a month ago, you can repeat it again to deworm the goats against any new intestinal parasites that may have either made it through the first deworming or have occurred after the deworming. Deworming every 8 weeks is often recommended in areas where the animals are susceptible to parasites.

It will also take a few weeks for them to regenerate the blood lost and to begin having pink membranes. Keeping a close eye on these will help you to know when you need to deworm again (anytime they begin looking less pink, its time to consider deworming again). You may be in this time period right now where they have been effectively dewormed, but you aren't yet seeing direct results.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I dewormed all of them with a double dose.
I repeated this for three days in a row.
I repeated this again after 4 days.
In 10 days all were dewormed 6 times.
They are still sick and dyeing.
I ask a simple question, How do I treat Anemic goats.

I'll opt out and see if another professional can assist. Good luck.

Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 4 months ago.

Good Evening, thanks for the question.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you’ve been having with your goats. I’m sure you must be frustrated!

I’d like to get some additional information from you please, so that I can give you a thorough answer.

1): Has the anemia been verified through blood testing?

2): Have there been any fecal analyses completed by your Vet to be sure that internal parasites are the problem, and/or also to be sure that the Ivermectin is working (we are seeing more and more parasite resistance against Ivermectin, and it isn’t as effective as it once was. I have worked with some herds where there was no effect against the worms at all)?

3): What does their current diet consist of?

4): What type of environment do they live in (pens, open pasture, etc.?

Also, there are three basic causes for anemia: destruction of red blood cells (of which parasites would fall into this category), lack of production and blood loss, such as internal bleeding. As this is a herd issue, I’m fairly certain that we can rule out the latter two, but it is extremely important to know the cause of anemia in order to properly treat it.

If your Vet has not performed fecal tests in order to be sure that the Ivermectin is working and that parasites are indeed the problem, I’d recommend that you consider having her/him do so. The way to treat anemia in parasitic goats is to be sure that the parasites are no longer a problem!

Thanks in advance for getting baclk to me, and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM.