Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a 4 month old ewe lamb, who is a family pet, she has

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old ewe lamb, who is a family pet, she has lived with a mins tire Shetland since birth, bottle fed and on hard feed! She had listeria quite young, was treated and absolutely fine, til 48 hrs ago she lost use of 1 hind leg! Vet came thought she may have been kicked by pony? 24 hrs ago lost use of both hind legs, no heat anywhere, eating , drinking peeing etc normally, bright in herself! I changed her field about a week ago! She is living in at night and out in a small pen during the day, separated from pony, but in view as they are quite inseparable! Any ideas? She is strong I front , no weight loss, no temperature!!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No her feet are all perfect
JA: What is the pony's name?
Customer: Lily
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lily?
Customer: Lily is the pony!! Baabara is the lamb! Pony has dwarfism , otherwise v healthy
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can she move her back legs at all? Can she feel them if you pinch (or poke with a sterile needle) the skin above the hoof?

Are they rigid of flaccid?

What has she been vaccinated for?

Is she wormed? What are you using?

Any access to toxins, moldy feeds, or dangerous plants?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she can feel her back legs! Vaccinated with lamb vac at regular times, yes, wormed, her legs feel normal warmth not hot, they are just floppy and she pivots on knuckles, not as far as I know, she's on same pasture as pony
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank goodness!

When you noted that she had a progressive hind leg weakness, paralysis was a worry (especially as it would open the door to Clostridial agents like Tetanus or Botulism, severe spinal damage, etc). Though with those lower on the list, we do still need to tread with care. Causes for concern with these signs would be mineral deficiencies (ie thiamine/magnesium/selenium/vitamin E), toxins (hard to appreciate if we cannot be sure what she may have gotten into), possible brain based infection (ie bacterial but not necessarily Listeria, viral, protozoal or even related to parasitic cysts), spinal inflammation or abscessation, or inflammation of the nerves or muscles (neuropathies, myopathies). Trauma could also still be a concern as inflammation can worsen over the short term and lead to progressive signs like we are seeing here.

With this all in mind, we would want to start aggressive supportive care. We'd want to make sure those deficiencies aren't an issue and treat for any that may be suspect. In fact, it would do no harm to at least start her on thiamine (a multi-B vitamin injection would be fine) and Vitamin E. And if there is any doubt on the others, they could also be treated for. While doing so, a broad spectrum antibiotic could also be started to cover bacterial concerns for her +/- an anti-inflammatory (ie Flunixin, Meloxicam, Carporfen, but no steroids) to reduce those above inflammatory concerns.

Overall, I am quite concerned to hear that her signs are progressing so quickly. It is quite possible we have inflammation from a kick to the spine or head, but we do have some other concerns. So, we'd want her vet to rule out these others +/- cover bases by treating for them to give her the best chance to get her back on her feet.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I haven't received a reply to the above yet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

How odd! I sent (and can see) a reply from myself. Let me repost for you:

*********************

Thank goodness!When you noted that she had a progressive hind leg weakness, paralysis was a worry (especially as it would open the door to Clostridial agents like Tetanus or Botulism, severe spinal damage, etc). Though with those lower on the list, we do still need to tread with care. Causes for concern with these signs would be mineral deficiencies (ie thiamine/magnesium/selenium/vitamin E), toxins (hard to appreciate if we cannot be sure what she may have gotten into), possible brain based infection (ie bacterial but not necessarily Listeria, viral, protozoal or even related to parasitic cysts), spinal inflammation or abscessation, or inflammation of the nerves or muscles (neuropathies, myopathies). Trauma could also still be a concern as inflammation can worsen over the short term and lead to progressive signs like we are seeing here. With this all in mind, we would want to start aggressive supportive care. We'd want to make sure those deficiencies aren't an issue and treat for any that may be suspect. In fact, it would do no harm to at least start her on thiamine (a multi-B vitamin injection would be fine) and Vitamin E. And if there is any doubt on the others, they could also be treated for. While doing so, a broad spectrum antibiotic could also be started to cover bacterial concerns for her +/- an anti-inflammatory (ie Flunixin, Meloxicam, Carporfen, but no steroids) to reduce those above inflammatory concerns. Overall, I am quite concerned to hear that her signs are progressing so quickly. It is quite possible we have inflammation from a kick to the spine or head, but we do have some other concerns. So, we'd want her vet to rule out these others +/- cover bases by treating for them to give her the best chance to get her back on her feet. Kind regards,Dr. B.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.