Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

I have a 3 week old Nigerian goat kid and he is grinding

Customer Question

I have a 3 week old Nigerian goat kid and he is grinding teeth and just started to vomit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the goat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No? Not that we know of. He drinks kid formula and didn't finish his night feeding and he eats goat the pellets
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the goat's name?
Customer: Wesley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wesley?
Customer: No
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the vomit look like?

Are his gums pale/white or pink?

Any belly pain when you press?

Any diarrhea? What color?

Any access to toxins, heavy metals or plants?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
to the last question. My daughters just told me he was eating from a rhodedendron! I gave him two doses of activated charcoal and he has been sipping on some electrolyte water from a bottle. He has stopped moaning and grinding his teeth but is just standing in corner of his area with his head down . He doesn't want to be pet but will sleep in my arms . No diarrhea no belly pain
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Oh dear,

If he has had access to rhododendron, then that is likely our culprit here. It is notorious for causing severe vomiting, gut pain (the cause of the teeth grinding), head pressing, lethargy, and sometimes diarrhea. So, you have done well to started activated charcoal (though make sure he is getting 1-4 grams per pound of his weight every 8 hours for at least the next 24 hours). Further to that, we do need to keep up on the electrolytes to combat vomiting losses and I would suggest a peek HERE ( for rhododendron supportive treatments. Either recipe is quite food for helping reduce gut inflammation and soothing the stomach to reduce vomiting. Or at the very least we can start some milk of Magnesia (5ml per 20 lbs of weight every 8 hours).

Otherwise, it is a case of monitoring hydration as this runs its course. Of course, if we find his vomiting too severe for oral home care, then we'd need to have his local vet involved to start IV fluids to flush the toxins out quicker +/- injectable anti-nausea treatment to get him settled and over this safely.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )