Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian performing farm calls for livestock, including herd health checks, vaccinations, and pregnancy testing. Also operate a small cow/calf operation.

I have a 3 week old calf.He is blind.He has had ups and

Customer Question

I have a 3 week old calf.He is blind.He has had ups and downs.This morning his intestines are sticking out of anus about 2 inches.He is pushing like he is constipated-but loose poop is coming out.How do I get intestines back in without calling vet?Thanks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Vet?
Customer: He drank half of bottle while sitting up.Got up and drank other half and wanted more.Other than intestine problem and being blind-he's ok.He did about a week ago get constipated.Gave enema and has been doing great since.Thanks
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your calf's troubles. Rectal prolapses are fairly common with diarrhea and straining. The first thing to do is to try to stop the diarrhea. If he is acting normal, eating well, and has no fever, you can give him 2 oz of Kao-Pectate ever 3-4 hours. You can mix this with a little milk or electrolyte solution and feed it through his bottle. You should substitute half of his milk with electrolyte solution as sometimes the richness of the milk causes the diarrhea.

Make sure he is staying hydrated. It doesn't take long for a little guy with diarrhea to dehydrate. You can check this by touching his gums. They should be slimy, not sticky or dry. If he's dehydrated, give him electrolytes without milk or if severe enough, take him to a vet for fluids.

To put the prolapse back, clean it and the area with warm water. If needed, apply some lubricant around the anus and gently push it back in. If he continues to strain and it comes right back out, you'll have to wait until you get the straining under control or see a vet to get it sutured in.

If you can't get it to stay in, keep him somewhere clean and dry. Keep the prolapse moist. You can use mineral oil or vaseline as a protectant. Protect it from direct sun and flies as much as possible. If it is starting to dry out, he needs to see a vet to have it sutured in place.

If the diarrhea and straining are no better with the Kao-pectate within 48 hours, he may need antibiotics from a vet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?