Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

Our goat got out and our dog chewed off our baby goat's ear

Customer Question

Our goat got out and our dog chewed off our baby goat's ear and half the other. Not sure how to help it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the goat's name and age?
Customer: Jill, age 4 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jill?
Customer: no
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear about your goat's unfortunate situation. Is there active bleeding at this time? How big is the goat?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No active bleeding. Small, maybe 50 lbs

If there is no active bleeding, the best recommendation I can make is to clean the wounds as best as you can and get her started on antibiotics and pain medication if she seems to be uncomfortable. Does she paw at her ears or shake her head often? Is she doing anything that makes you think that she is painful?

Do you have any medications available at this time? If not, she should be examined by a veterinarian so that appropriate antibiotics and pain medication can be prescribed.

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?