Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

I have an 8 year old longhorn steer who has developed a

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old longhorn steer who has developed a cough and is showing mucus or nasal discharge. It has started up again after about 7 months without any coughing. First noticed it last fall for a short time and then it quit. Due to my age and physical problems I would like to know if there are any oral antibiotics that I could obtain to treat this problem?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 10 months ago.

Greetings, and thanks for the question.

To get to the point of your question, unfortunately, there are no oral antibiotics that work effectively in ruminants, due to the nature of their digestive tracts. By the time that the antibiotic has been processed through the Rumen, etc., there are no useful antibiotic properties available for absorption, as they have all been metabolized/destroyed through the complex digestion process. That is why all of the effective antibiotics are of the injectable type, as they get into the bloodstream directly.

Sorry it isn’t better news! Hopefully you can find someone to help you safely administer an injectable product to help your Longhorn overcome his infection.

All the best to you,

-Dan C., DVM.

Hi Gary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Waylon. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM