Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

My hog is pregnant. She is due today. I'm worried. She has

Customer Question

My hog is pregnant. She is due today. I'm worried. She has not progressed enough and she hasn't eaten in 5 days.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If you are sure that your gal is pregnant, then I would be worried too. It is not unusual for them to not eat for a few days prior to delivery and the delivery process will be different for every pig. They will not follow the rule books. I would wait a few more days, as long as you are sure that she is pregnant and there has been mammary development but after that, have your vet prescribe an oxytocin injection that will induce labor. if that does not work, then your vet will have to figure out what is happening.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****