Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

I have a question about a newborn goat. He is 3 days old.

Customer Question

I have a question about a newborn goat. He is 3 days old. The mistake was made of only feeding colostrum. The past day and a half. He was with mom prior to that. He had his first 2 Oz of milk replacer about an hour ago. I am trying to only feed small amounts every 4 hours to prevent bloat. My question is 1. Is there any concerns with the fact he only got colostrum? 2. Should I continue to supplement with it this first week?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian. I do apologize that your question was not answered before now, but different experts do come online at different times. Anyway, I have just come online, read about your situation and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, this is no worry at all. The colostrum will do no harm being fed for a longer period of time. Its just that his gut won't absorb the antibodies in the colostrum past 24 hours. So, it was just like feeding a very rich milk to him but nothing that would cause particular harm. Otherwise, if mum isn't providing adequate milk herself, then you would want to supplement him this week and as long as needed to make sure he has a good start here. :)

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )