Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian with over 11 years experience in ambulatory practice
94743805

1 my 20 year old arabian mare has something like blisters on

Customer Question

1 my 20 year old arabian mare has something like blisters on her belly about 2 inches wide by about six inches long.how should i treat it?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 9 months ago.

Hi Mary, This is Dr Emily and I hope I can help your mare out. How long have the blisters been there? Is she experiencing hairloss or open sores along the belly where the blisters are? Is she itching them? It may be helpful to me if you could send me a picture of the lesions. You should be able to attach pictures here in the reply box, by clicking on the paperclip.

That being said, usually blisters or hives, is caused by an allergic reaction. Most commonly it is a reaction to insect bites. Ususally I prescribe dexamethasone for a few days to get rid of them. Cold hosing the area, and applying an antibiotic ointment to the any of the blisters that are open or raw, once or twice a day. Insect control is important to prevent them from recurring. A good quality flyspray (I recommend one with Permethrins in it) and a fly repellent ointment that you could place around the blisters (the one I know of is called Swat).

I hope to hear back from you soon,

Dr Emily

Hi Mary, were you able to get any pictures of the blisters? How is your mare doing?

Hi Mary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gloryanna. How is everything going?

JACUSTOMER-quy59ppg-