CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

She is four years old, had her second calf, had a small bag

Customer Question

she is four years old, had her second calf, had a small bag but enough to keep the calf going. She lost weight. We feed her grain andcshecseemed to come back a little. She had now started losing weight again. Her hip bones stick out like a Holstein. She is part Charolais.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Charolais's name?
Customer: Baby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby?
Customer: She is very calm, we hug her, she is not shy. She does eat a little grain but not the way she should like her teeth are hurting or she cannot swallow. We took her temp a month and she was normal. The vet saw her from a distance took a stool but found nothing. We could not get her in the gate. She was frightened by the vet. She appears to be bullied a little especially when we feed grain so we feed her separate.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Does she still have a calf at foot? How old?

Has the weight loss continued despite feeding her on her own?

Any missing teeth, swellings, or sores in her mouth?

Any palpable swellings in the throat?

Any issues with eating hay or anything besides her grain?

Does her stool look looser or more voluminous then the other cows?