PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 15 month old Hebridean sheep ram has something loose

Customer Question

My 15 month old Hebridean sheep ram has something loose inside one of his horns ie his horn rattles.
No sign of any other problem with the ram or his horn, it simply rattles.
Any ideas what this is and if I need to do anything about it?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello Paul, and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

A sheep's horns can possess hollow areas, so it would not be unexpected to hear something moving around within a horn if a small piece of keratin has broken off and is simply free-moving within that area of the horn. If there are no complications from this thus far, it likely does not need to be addressed medically.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How are things going for you and your companion?

Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bob. How is everything going?