Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

We had a 5 year old cow eat quite a bit of netting. It was

Customer Question

Hello. We had a 5 year old cow eat quite a bit of bale netting. It was on the back of our buggy and had a little hay in it and ate it. What can we do? Induce vomiting or mineral oil?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Plastic bale netting
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Sorry that it has taken so long to get to your question...I hope your cow is still doing well. When they consume odd substances such as plastic netting, the best thing to do is to give 1 gallon of mineral oil by mouth daily until all has been removed. You may not see this since most may have been partially digested but this will make sure that things slide through and do not get stuck causing an obstruction and guard against any gas producing bacteria that could occur. If your cow appears to be in pain, aspirin boluses, available at the farm supply can help decrease this discomfort and inflammation.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta