Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  I have worked with different Animals from Horses to livestock

How to bottle feed if mom rejects calf

Customer Question

how to bottle feed if mom rejects calf
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

How old is the calf?

Has the calf been fed at all by the cow?

Did the Calf get any Colostrum?

Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

The first feedings the calf should have is colostrum. you will need to get this from a cow that just gave birth. If the calf is a day or two old you can go to regular whole milk or formula you can get from the local feed store.

Do not overfeed calves, during the first 3 weeks of life.Twice a day feeding is satisfactory, with half the required amount being fed at each feeding. The temperature of the milk is not important but it need to be kept at a constant temperature
when feeding.
A calf via a nipple feeder which is a nursing bottle can be used for the calf to suckle. Calves can be taught, to drink milk
from a bucket. Put the calf in a corner in the barn rear side in and stand on the side and your fingers with Milk in he mouth to get the taste. When the calf calf starts to suck, gently lead it to the bucket of the warm milk. watch the notrils do noy get in the milk. Repetition will help the calf learn.
A calf will start drinking water at about a week old and milk does not supply the eeded water intake. Make sure water is always available.