Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

55 #Billy kid has been recently wormed has scours,on the

Customer Question

55 #Billy kid has been recently wormed has scours,on the road with some stress does not appear to be wormy any longer ,scours for about 3/4 days . Can't find any Sulmet in Shawnee Oklahoma.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, if you cannot source Sulmet in your location and your local vet cannot order it in for you, then you could consider using Corid or Albon for this lad. Otherwise, do make sure you are supporting his general gut health with a goat specific probiotic. As well, if he is very runny and as long as there isn't blood, you can also use Kaolin/Kaopectate (as a powder from farm supply shops or OTC as a liquid in human pharmacies) to slow the diarrhea for him. Finally, if this persists and since there are a lot of potential triggers for scours (ie viral, bacterial, etc), you may also wish to have a stool sample tested by the local vet lab to pinpoint the root cause and ensure you treat this as effectively as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )