Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

My pygmy goat, a doe 9 yrs. old weighing approx. 65 lbs, was

Customer Question

My pygmy goat, a doe 9 yrs. old weighing approx. 65 lbs, was attacked by my pony. The pony bit her and lifted her off the ground several times. My equine massage therapist examined her yesterday and found a lot of fluid buildup in her left front leg and side. Would like to administer bute; what dosage (paste)?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound, just fluid buildup from the trauma. Superficial bites on her left side, and top of spine. No injury to spine.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the goat's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She is recovering from a pseudo-pregnancy. She is still very full in the udder and has behavioral changes. I think the other animals sense a different odor about her and that's why the pony attacked her. He's never done that before now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Bella...that is so sad! Poor thing!! The best thing you can do is what you are already doing and give Butazolidin 500 mg every 12 hrs (10 mg per kg) to help reduce the dependent edema that is being produced by this severe trauma. I would be sure to cover Bella with an antibiotic such as Cephalexin or Trimethoprim Sulfa or even Pencillin G if that is all you have for 7 days. Use a hose to massage the fluid build up in her legs and walk her daily which will also help her body take back this fluid. If all goes well, Bella should get past this as long as you are consistent with treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** do you think about injectable Banamine? Dosage?

Banamine is even better and is given at a dose of 1 cc per 20 pounds daily. If you have this, it will work better....Good luck! I really hope sweet Bella can come out this....

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Great! SO or IM?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not happy with your advice. I spoke with a local vet, who said your Banamine dosage was really high. He suggested 100 mg ibuprofen a couple times a day, which is what I'm going to go with.

So sorry....all vets have their own ways of doing things. I have worked with goats for many years and have used this dose without any issues. I am happy that Bella will be feeling better....

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta