Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.

I lost a lamb last week, now I have an older wether with

Customer Question

I lost a lamb last week, now I have an older wether with diarrhea and a swollen lower jaw.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the lamb's name and age?
Customer: The lamb was ten weeks, the wether is nine years old
JA: What is the lamb's name?
Customer: #3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about #3?
Customer: He stopped eating and left the flock for three days then died. I am looking for info to save the other sheep.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 3 months ago.

Good evening:

Just got in and am turning in for the night, but saw your post. Based on your description, this is a classic presentation for a severe internal parasite problem. When was your goat last de-wormed? I’d highly recommend that you obtain a fecal sample and get it to a Vet’s office for analysis first thing in the morning. A small animal Vet should be able to run a sample for you.

The swollen lower jaw is a sign of low protein, due to protein loss to the worms.

I’ll be checking in the morning for your reply, should you have any further questions.

All the best to you,

-Dan C., DVM.

Good Morning!

Just checking to see if you have any further questions.

Referring to the swollen jaw that I mentioned last evening, that is a condition commonly known as “bottle jaw”, and as I stated previously, is a very common sign of an internal parasite infestation. Fluid collects in the jaw (edema), due to the lack of proteins in the bloodstream through a process called osmosis, which entails the fluid part of the blood leaking through the blood vessels in search of larger protein molecules, as the parasites have consumed most of the major proteins responsible for keeping the fluid within the bloodstream.

I urge you to follow up with having your goat checked for worms (there are other types of internal parasites as well, other than worms, such as Coccidia, that can also cause this condition). That is why it is important to have a fecal analysis completed, to identify the specific type(s) of parasites present. You could also go ahead and deworm your goat with an over the counter product called Safegard, which should be available at your local feed store. There is a liquid product that is made just for goats. Follow the label directions, and then repeat the process in ten days, as the dewormer kills only adult worms, and any remaining worm eggs will hatch. Repeating the deworming in ten days kills the recent hatched worms, preventing them from becoming adults.

Again, I hope I’ve been of some help, but please feel free to ask any further questions. I will be out working for a good part of the day today, but I will check for your reply as soon as I return.

Thanks again,

-Dan C., DVM.