Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

My goat is having trouble urinating

Customer Question

my goat is having trouble urinating
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it seem hes not peeing much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he had these issues?

Can he pass any urine at all? Small volumes? Straining?

Does the urine it look normal?

Is his belly distended or tender/sore?

How is he otherwise?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the issue just started yesterday is when I naught him not acting right small amount not much and his bully is tender his not drinking much and he seems down
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Oh dear,

I do apologize that we seem to be playing time zone tag. Still, I have to say that I am very worried about your lad.

His being down and tender isn't a surprise if he is barely passing urine.

This is actually a major red flag that he may have a partial urinary blockage. This could be due to bladder stones, severe urine crystal issues blocking the urethra, or severe inflammation/spasm with cystitis. In this case if he is down, then its an emergency situation and there will be no safe home treatments here to use. Instead, I must implore you to not delay in calling his vet out immediately. Because if he is struggling enough to pass urine but is still down and poorly, this just tells us that the amount he is passing is too little and that we need to treat this just as we would a blockage to avoid it progressing to one; especially since that would carry the additional risk of bladder damage/rupture, kidney damage, and this could easily be fatal for him. So, its good he can pass a bit but we need to act fast to have his vet determine which issue is present and start getting it clear so he can urinate properly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Doris,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Almo. How is everything going?
Dr. B.