Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

She is not eating,she's digging at the ground and she has a

Customer Question

She is not eating,she's digging at the ground and she has a soft bulge by her rectum. gums are pale pink.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the large animal's name and age?
Customer: Petunia is a 1.5 yr old gilt Idaho Pasture Pig
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Petunia?
Customer: I haven't seen her poop this morning
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about Petunia's condition. There is a possibility that she may have a diverticulum within the colon where the stool is getting stuck and this would cause this mass you see and the lack of stool that is released. This diverticulum is a congenital abnormality that allows stool to go into another part of the colon and get stuck. The only way to know for sure is to have your vet examine her. She may have had this for a long time but has not had enough stool enter this part of the colon to cause problems.

For now, I would recommend giving Petunia mineral oil 1/4 cup every 4 hrs to help things slide through if possible. You will know within 4-6 hrs if this is getting through because you will see oil stains on her rear. It may allow the stool to be released if the diverticulum is small.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Connie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta