Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

I have a dead calf this morning. Extremely bloated blood

Customer Question

I have a dead calf this morning. Extremely bloated blood shot eyes blood coming from anus
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the calf's name and age?
Customer: No name about a month and a half
JA: What is the calf's name?
Customer: It has no name
JA: That's not a nice thing to say.
Customer: Excuse me?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the calf?
Customer: It seemed ok yesterday but didn't eat a full bottle last night
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did the blood look clotted or still runny? Any from other orifices?

Had it any vaccinations yet?

Had it any signs prior to death? Scours? Breathing changes?

Any access to toxins, heavy metals, or chemicals?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
blood around anus looks dried blood shot eyes no other orifices 8 way vac at birth normal except loss of appetite last night
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no toxins I'm aware of
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to see it was dried/clotted blood, since unclotted would raise concerns of anthrax (which is notifiable).

That aside, it doesn't sound like this little one gave much warning or many clues to what has triggered its sudden death. So, to see bleeding and death without warning in a calf this young, I have to note that toxins (including overdoses of any supplements used), foreign body ingestion (causing gut damage/perforation), potential viral disease, and clostridial infections would be our main concerns here.

With these in mind, if you did want to definitively diagnose which was the trigger for this wee one's death, it'd be ideal to submit this calf for post mortem. The pathologist will be able to look inside the wee calf, culture suspect tissues, and examine histology for viral inclusions in the tissue. If needed, they can also analyse the mineral content from the body and make sure there isn’t a deficiency or overdose to blame here. And that would give us a cause of death for this poor wee one.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.