Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

My goat had bladder stones but not breathing heavy. All the

Customer Question

My goat had bladder stones but not breathing heavy. All the 24 hours vets don't work with goats. I wanted to find something to save it until I can get a vet that's open.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your goat?
Customer: Sorry he is breathing heavy and laying down won't bleep or anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he pass any urine at all?

Is his belly tender or sore?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Now just a little urine and he is making grunting or heavy breathing noises
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Oh dear,

If he is straining to pass urine (a critical life function) and is only passing small volumes on top of being this painful, I am concerned that we are in a very serious situation and have at least a partial blockage already. So, I have to warn you that I am concerned that it is a situation where there won't be any home care that will keep him going until the local vet you are waiting for is open.

The only thing we can really do is try anti-inflammatories to reduce the inflammation around the blockage and hopefully allow more urine to flow through. For this, an injectable anti-inflammatory (ie Meloxicam, Ketoprofen, Flunixin, etc) would be best but depending on what you have access to you might have to try aspirin (100 mg /kg by mouth every 12 hours). If that reduces inflammation enough that he can pass urine and settles, we can monitor and continue that over the weekend. But if it doesn't, then we'd absolutely need to have him seen as an emergency even if it means a trek to a further afield vet or ringing the others about euthanasia to at least prevent him from suffering.

Overall, urinary blockages are a goat emergency. So, it is terrible that these local vets won't make an exception to help you. Still, as it is an emergency, we can try the above to hopefully reduce his inflammation enough but if it doesn't do so, then he has to be seen even if we need to travel a wee ways or ring that local vet who would help to see if they can do so now and avoid this being fatal.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.