Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.

My friend has a male, goat. This goat has grown, This goat

Customer Question

My friend has a male ,young goat. This goat has grown
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the goat?
Customer: This goat has grown horn-like , fairly flat yet curving over skull . One side is growing very close to the meat is occipital area. What can be done painlessly? I thought of u singing moisturizer until they became soft, then could be cut or whatever. Thank you. Ahead of time
JA: Is the goat bleeding a lot?
Customer: Not at all. Just concern of it growing into head like a knaw claw sometimes does on dogs
JA: Phew. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the head?
Customer: This is a very healthy goat. Playful eats well and great pet etc.... oh and drinking well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning, and thanks for the question. I apologize for the delay with your getting a response. I just logged on and saw your post.

What you are describing is a horn condition called “scur”. This occurs when the initial de-horning process wasn’t completed correctly. It is actually a very common problem, but fortunately, there are several methods that can be employed to resolve it. Based on your description of the growth, this does sounds as if it needs to be dealt with.

One solution is to have a Veterinarian remove the horn permanently. What I will normally do in a case such as this is to sedate the goat, numb the base of the horn with Lidocaine (1%), and saw the residual horn off at the base. As this is a younger goat, this would be much less traumatic than if he were older, and the healing time would be much quicker. Another option is somewhat along the lines of what you have already referred to. Yes, softening the horn for a few days with something like Bag Balm, etc., and then the offending section of the horn can be cut off with a strong pair of wire cutters or diamond wire if the base of the scur is strongly attached to the skull. Depending on the length of the horn, you want to be careful by not cutting off too much, or you will get into the quick, or blood supply, which will be painful, and it does take some time to get the bleeding under control. The only problem with not having it professionally removed is that it will be a recurring process throughout the life of the goat.

So I do hope that I’ve been of some help to you, but please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best to you,

-Dan C., DVM.