Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

A dog got ahold of a goat 1 side of s scrodum is hard and

Customer Question

A dog got ahold of a goat 1 side of his scrodum is hard and has a wound of left hip.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: The goat is not bleeding
JA: What is the goat's name and age?
Customer: Left hip wound is sore
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the goat?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 1
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tuesday my vet gave me a shot of penicillin 1cc and that was for his scrodum and then after that is when he got the hip wound.
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 5 months ago.

Good evening, and thanks for the question: I am very sorry to hear about Bucko’s current condition. I’m glad that he wasn’t injured more than he is. Dog attacks (especially with younger goats) can at times be quite extensive.

Firstly, I’m glad that you had Bucko seen by his Veterinarian. I have some questions that I need to ask you so that I can get a more complete picture as to what’s going on, and so that I can give you a more complete answer.

1): How long ago did the dog attack occur, and how soon was he seen by your Vet after the attack?

2): You mentioned that he was give one shot of Penicillin. Is that all that the Vet prescribed? Was he prescribed any other medication?

3): How is Bucko doing otherwise, as fara as eating, drinking, urinating and passing manure?

4): How severe, and what is the approximate size of the wound on his left hip? Where is the wound located? Is he severely lame on that affected leg?

5): Again,referring to the hip wound, did your Vet leave you any instructions as far as keeping the wound clean, and were there any ointments, etc., to apply to the wound?

6): Since the scrotum is involved, I’m assuming that Bucko is a Buck(?). Is there swelling involved. You also mention that one side of the scrotum is hard. If you gently squeeze the affected portion with you fingers, can you notice if there is a slight dent in the tissue where you were squeezing?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Are you looking for more direction on what to do from here?

I’m looking forward to hearing from you!

-Dan C., DVM.

Just wanted to let you know that I will be signing off for the evening. I’ll be checking for your reply first thing in the morning.

Thanks again,

-Dan C., DVM.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I saw his scrodum my dad sent me to get shot, the next day he had the wound on hip, we are putting wound spray on it and it's bout 2in long. He is doing ok just limping on the back leg. The scrodum looks like some swelling went down, when I get my off work will check on him

Thanks so much for getting back to me, I was wondering how Bucko was getting along. Apologies for the length of time it took me to respond to your replies. I was out working late last night.

It sounds as if Bucko seems to be improving, especially since the swelling on his scrotum is reducing. The most probable cause of that is inflammation, and it should continue to get back to normal size within a week. Also, good job with treating the wound. Just concentrate on keeping it clean, and only apply the ointment once daily, following cleaning with mild soap and water. Also, it would help if you can give him one adult aspirin once daily for 3-5 days. You can try crushing up the aspirin and adding it to a small amount of grain to get him to eat it. If he is limping only due to pain and inflammation from the dog attack, this should help that as well.

Do keep an eye on his attitude and appetite. Hopefully he is eating and drinking well. If he goes off of his feed, or starts to act tired or depressed, that can be an indication of an infection from the wound. I’m hoping that you won’t have to worry about that!

Thanks again for getting back to me. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. I’m always here to help.

All the best to you and Bucko.

-Dan C., DVM.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should I give him anymore penicillin

Hello, thanks for getting back to me.

What type of penicillin is he currently on? Procaine Penicillin G, or some other type, and how many cc’s (mL’s) is he getting now? Also, do you know his approximate weight?

Thanks,

-Dan C., DVM.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Bout 50lbs, the vet gave us 1 shot of 1cc, but we have penicillin it is procaine g

That’s great. I would recommend continuing with the Procaine Penicillin G at 2cc in the muscle twice daily for three more days.

-Dan.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks so much

You’re very welcome. I hope Bucko recovers well!

-Dan.

Just checking to see if you have any further questions.

Best,

-Dan C., DVM

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No you was very helpful

Thank you. Please drop me a note if you find the time within the next few days to let me know how Bucko is getting along.

-Dan.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I will

Many thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks very much again