Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

My pig has red around s eye and looks like its insides ae

Customer Question

my pig has red around his eye and looks like its insides ae coming out I have tried eye wash but still a little red.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: It's a show pig his name is ***** ***** 5 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruno?
Customer: he is eating and seems to be in good health except his eyes look bad
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has it been like this?

What is in the eye wash you used?

Any changes to the eye ball itself (ie enlarged, shrunken, clouding/hazing, etc)?

Any discharge? What color?

Any sneezing?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
his eye is clounding/hazing and sunk in. I was use a spray called ceragyn eye wash
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Based on your description of Bruno's eye, I'd be concerned that he has had either a traumatic injury to the eye or a possible bacterial conjunctivitis. The tissue you are seeing coming out is likely swollen conjunctiva. This will come up over the lid and can make the eye appear sunken back. As well, the haze/clouding you are seeing will be corneal edema. This is they way our corneas become inflamed in the face of damage or infection.

Now your supportive care has been reasonable, but it sounds like this isn’t getting on top of the ocular changes. Therefore, as eyes are so delicate, it’d be best to get your local vet involved. They can stain the eye to check for ulcers and superficial corneal damage. As long as they do not find deep traumatic lesions (often requiring conjunctival grafts to keep the eye from rupturing), they can start pig safe anti-inflammatories to reduce conjunctival swelling +/- serum drops to help the cornea heal. As well, if there is suspicious of bacterial infection, antibiotic drops can be dispensed as well.

Overall, your approach has been reasonable but with the degree of change to the eye despite this we need to tread with care. Therefore, it would be ideal to have the eye examined at this stage to determine which of these issues are present and to address them properly for your wee lad.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what kind of antibiotic drops do you think I should get?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

If we have a bacterial conjunctivitis, then it does depend on the bacterial species to what antibiotic drop would be ideal. Though in regards ***** ***** spectrum treatment, you could try Terramycin to start.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.