Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

21 month old dairy show heifer with considerable fluid on

Customer Question

Hi - 21 month old dairy show heifer with considerable fluid on the front and side of her hock. She is pregnant 96 days and in otherwise great health. She grew tremendously over the winter and is quite big for her age. Moves freely on it and was not from an injury that we know of. Has always been housed on a deep bedded pack and large pasture. Have been using DMSO with little improvement. What do you recommend? Heifer is national show caliber, but not with this hock. Thank you.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the heifer?
Customer: No, but you are correct--our number one priority is that she remains pregnant.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your situation today.

My first impressions based on your brief description is she either has a joint infection, or has indeed sustained some injury to the area. This might be a soft tissue injury, possibly from a strain, or even a small fracture in one of the multiple small bones that make up the hock joint.

Because of her pregnancy, you almost have to consider having her checked by your veterinarian. He can first check to see if she indeed pregnant as this will dictate what medications can be used, if necessary. I would imagine that after a through examination of the leg & hoof, he/she will recommend taping the fluid &/or proceeding with radiographs of the area.

You are pretty limited with your choice of drugs, both antibiotics & anti-inflammatories at this stage, so I definitely would not recommend you doing any more than your DMSO. But if she is a show caliber animal, then you really want to find out what is going on just in case the problem in the hock progresses to a point where she can no longer walk, & you lose the potential for obtaining future calves from her.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 9 months ago.

Hello, again. I see you have reviewed my response. I'm really concerned about your heifer's leg. Please let me know if there is anything more I can help with, or if you get your vet out, what the outcome is.

Than you.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda