Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian with over 11 years experience in ambulatory practice
94743805

My potbelly pig wts 75lb he has not been mself since

Customer Question

My potbelly pig wts 75lb he has not been himself since yesterday he did did eat in the A.M and went out to pee n poop,But then slept the rest of the day.Did not want to eat or drink did poop some hard stools several balls.I gave home a mineral oil fleets and he did pass several more but still does not want to eat or drink and wants to just lay down n sleep.He feels hot I took his temp and it's 104? I been giving him syringes of water to drink. Not really sure what is wrong?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the pig. What is the pig's name?
Customer: Bailey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: Not he is normally very active he thinks he is a big dog at times I feel bad.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr Emily, I am a large animal vet. I am sorry to hear that your pig is feeling bad. A pig not eating tells me that he is definitely sick! A temperature of 104 would be considered a fever in a pig. Has he eaten anything strange that you know of? Any nasal or eye discharge? Coughing?

Barring no other obvious symptoms, I would be concerned that your pig has some sort of infection with a fever like that. The fever can lead to inappetance, and dehydration. This could lead to constipation, so I think you giving the enema was a good idea. Your pig may need an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory), such as aspirin, to help reduce the fever. Aspirin dose for a 75lb pig would be one 325mg Bayer (or generic) tablet. This can be given up to twice a day. I would not give for more than a day or two, and if the fever persisits, or he remains lethargic despite medication, you should have him checked out by a veterinarian. He may need an antibiotic, or further diagnostics (bloodwork, x-ray) to determine what the problem is.

I hope this information is helpful and that Bailey is feeling back to his old self soon. Keep trying to encourage him to eat and drink, syringing him with gatorade may help with dehydration as well.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns,

Dr Emily Weaver