Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  I have worked with different Animals from Horses to livestock
5071285

My pig is 4 months old and is seizing all of a sudden : She

Customer Question

My pig is 4 months old and is seizing all of a sudden
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your pig?
Customer: She has had 3 mini seizures in 30 mins
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the pig's name?
Customer: Skye
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skye?
Customer: No she has been eating pig sow had blueberry yesterday and hasn't drank much since
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would like to assist you.

There are many different causes for seizures in a pig. Sodium rich food without drinking water can lead to seizures. Not drinking enough water can sometimes referred to as "salt toxicity" is the usual cause.

There are some pigs that may have a genetic defect within the brain that causes seizures. There are febrile seizures that are seizures caused by having a high fever. Hypoglycemia which is low blood sugar can cause seizures in pigs .

I like to tell people with this problem, to please write down water consumption and Diet the time the Pig had the seizure. Also grab you video camera and video the seizure so the Vet has a point of reference. Keep a diary of Food, Fluid intake daily to help the Vet barrow down the cause. Once they have this information they can treat the pig accordingly.

Joan