Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

I have a lamb that is month old and is showing signs of body

Customer Question

hey I have a lamb that is month old and is showing signs of body parylize. We had rain lastnight and they are outside. she was found this morning stiff but alive.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

In a lamb this young we always worry about White Muscle Disease that can cause a progressive paralysis. This is a deficiency of Vitamin E/Selenium and is treated with BOSE, available at the feed store, given once and again 3-4 days later. This LINK will explain in more detail.

This condition can also be caused by head trauma that you may not be aware of or an infectious Encephalitis that will show these very typical progressive neurologic symptoms. It is best to cover the lamb with antibiotics as well as BOSE and provide supportive care during this period of time. Your vet can test this lamb to determine what the cause is and how best to treat her.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Rachel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta