Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

Its a calf with a swolen anus. looks sick . : the calf is

Customer Question

its a calf with a swolen anus. looks sick .
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the calf?
Customer: the calf is eating and drinking but looks sick .dont knowif he is passing any stool.can i give him a drink to flush him out
JA: Where does the calf seem to hurt?
Customer: he dose not look hurt .just looks sick.doopy looking
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the calf's name and age?
Customer: six weeks and a white head.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Six Weeks?
Customer: yes six weeks. not positive for bvd .had rotovirus when he was two weeks old and crpto.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This swollen anus may be due to a prolapse which is often caused by some loose stool. When this happens, the stool cannot come out due to the prolapse causing the exit to be too small. In this case, you or your vet will have to replace the prolapse back into its position since it is now inside out and suture it in position so it cannot come back out and adhesions will form to keep the colon in its correct position.

This could also be due to trauma of some kind causing a swelling that will require treatment with antibiotics and help for teh calf to defecate until the swelling decreases. Cold compresses can help to decrease this swelling to ease the calf's disocmfort and allow the stool to come out.

Have your vet check this if you cannot tell what is happening the way I have described this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta