Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

I have a 10 year old Longhorn cow. She has had diarrhea

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old Longhorn cow. She has had diarrhea for past week. What can I give her?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see diarrhea in our cattle for a range of reasons (ie bacterial, viral, protozoal, parasitic, nutritional, toxin induced, etc). So, we do need to start supportive care for Galarette but also get to the root of this for her.

To start, we want to take some steps to slow her diarrhea. To do so, you can first increase her fiber/hay intake to help bulk up her stools. As well, if they are very runny, you can treat with OTC Kaolin from your local farm supply or start her on Pepto Bismol (5 cc per 50 pounds of her weight every 8 hrs). At the same time, we'd want to make sure she is up to date on worming (treating if she isn't). And to help counter any mild GI microflora imbalances, you can also start her on a probiotic. And if she is showing any signs of dehydration, we can offer +/- drench her with electrolyte solutions (ie Resorb, Lectaid) to counter her diarrhea losses and keep her hydrated.

Further to supportive care, you can consider a broad spectrum antibiotic (ie Penicillin) or otherwise we'd want to consider collecting a stool sample for analysis by her vet. That way they can look for those above concerns and determine what is causing this for her. And that would allow us to treat based on their findings and ensure we did so effectively to get her settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Galarette. How is everything going?

Dr. B.