CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian

A new born lamb born may 17/ 16 is not walking would take a

Customer Question

a new born lamb born may 17/ 16 is not walking would take a few steps and fall over on the right side. Did drink from mom with assistance, now feeding from bottle. gave selenium e shots seemed to help. now he does not get up or stand with assistance. what should I do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Doug Nieh replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is*****

I worked with lambs years ago - new born lambs can contract an infection through the umbillcal cord. this infection spreads into the blood stream and settles into the joints. The joints swell, are very painful, and the lamb doesn't want to get up to nurse. In the cases I have seen, they responded well to antibiotics. But some cases can be resistant to treatment. You will likely need to contact your local large animal vet to confirm this condition and acquire the proper antibiotics.

I suspect that the condition is called "Joint Ill" and generally responds to penicillins. Here is a link to the condition I suspect the little lamb is suffering from :