Erin Brown
Erin Brown,
Experience:  Owner at Brown Veterinary Services
94507445

Noticed a 2 month old calf was really slow moving with ears

Customer Question

noticed a 2 month old calf was really slow moving with ears pinned back lethargic about four hours ago. she was drinking some dirty water from a puddle in the manure. now she is worsening quickly and cant get up. we have tried to get her to drink some fresh water without any luck. we believe she may have ingested a piece of silage bag a day ago. her manure is pasty with a tint of red.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the calf will be able to digest that. What is the calf's name?
Customer: anna
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Anna?
Customer: we stood her up to move her into a holding pen with her mother and he back legs don't seem to work well. she was walking on the top of her hoof
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Erin Brown replied 6 months ago.
Sounds like enteritis. If left untreated they can pass away. She needs to be rehydrated with oral fluids and treated for what is causing the gi issues. She needs to be seen by a veterinarian to determine the cause.