Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a mini pig and her rectum is very swollen and seems

Customer Question

I have a mini pig and her rectum is very swollen and seems to have white seepage
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about USDA?
Customer: She seems.to be foaming at the mouth more than usual
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like you may be dealing with some parasites. Coccidia is one of the main causes of this type of diarrhea- also called scours. E.coli is another possible cause, along with some viral pathogens. We typically start by doing a fecal exam to look for parasites and coccidia. Those are treated specifically. If nothing is found, we'll often times give a general deworming and antibiotic to get this under control. In the mean time, you can use a topical diaper rash ointment to help with the swelling around the anus. Desitin or A&D ointment can help as needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

rydergar