Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

My boar goat is losing hair no other goat just him JA: I'm

Customer Question

my boar goat is losing hair no other goat just him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Goat?
Customer: 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Goat?
Customer: he got hurt about 8 months ago basically lives in my barn because arthritis set in front legs eats food timothy hay alfafa hay fresh grass we hand cut every day lost some weight
JA: Is Goat bleeding a lot?
Customer: no
JA: Phew. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me: How long has he been losing hair?Where on his body?Any skin changes (ie scaling, pustules, pimples, crusting, sores, or redness)?Are you seeing him itch or rub the area?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Scaling that's it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you,Where on his body are you seeing that?Is he rubbing the skin?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All over his body. He is not itching or rubbing.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** his signs, we have 2 considerations: ringworm or a lapse in skin/coat nutrition.Now if he is losing weight as well, we can see scaling and hair loss due to a skin/coat nutrition deficiency. Often this is a side effect of an internal issue (ie severe worm or fluke burdens, organ troubles, cancer, metabolic disease,etc), as the body reroutes nutrition intended for the skin/coat to more critical organs. To address this, we tend to need to consider a full check-up +/- bloods to determine which issue is present. Otherwise, we'd want to make sure he is wormed and could consider increasing his daily feed ration. As well, we can also supplement with Omega 3 fatty acids (dosed at 20mg per pound of body weight daily) as this is particularly good for improving skin and coat health; which could just give settle this for him. Otherwise, though less likely with this being all over his body and no other goats affected, we do have to consider ringworm. Therefore, you could try bathing him in a 1% iodine solution to address that for him. Alternatively, though less practical if he does have this everywhere, you could choose to treat the areas with an OTC miconazole or clotrimazole anti fungal cream. With these, we'd apply a thin layer to the affected areas once or twice daily after scrubbing off the area with a brush. Both of these options work equally well. (but do make sure he's isolated so no one is licking off the cream). Finally and an option to consider if this is all over his body, would be Griseofulvin. This is an oral preparation but as it does have some side effects, we'd need to have his vet test a hair pluck to diagnose the ringworm. If they do, this can be dispensed by them to start. And of course, if this were diagnosed, we'd want to make sure that the barn was pressure washed with dilute bleach (ie 1 capful of bleach per one gallon of water) to remove the fungus and prevent re-infection or infection of others. Overall, these changes to raise two concerns. Therefore, I'd suggest using the initial supportive care for him but potentially trying a 1% iodine bath to reduce any risk of ringworm for your lad.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.