Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

I had a female Duroc about 3 yrs old that just had her first

Customer Question

I had a female Duroc about 3 yrs old that just had her first litter of piglets on April 2nd.She delivered 12. She fell dead yesterday. I had not noticed her acting sick or running any fever or coughing. I cut her up and noticed along her backbone her meat looked discolored and blackish. In her chest around the lung cavity she had bubbly looking mucus. But her lungs, heart and liver looked good and pink like they should. Her intestines were full of food and her kidneys were full of fluid.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. Based on the changes you have reported, we would have a few concerns. The first would be toxic exposures (ie pesticides, heavy metals, overdoses of selenium or copper, fungal contaminants in her food). These should be easy for you to rule in or out in death based on what she had access to. Otherwise, my main concern with this sudden death alongside black discolored flesh and shocky kidneys would be one of the clostridial bacterias. C. novyi and C. chauvoei would be our top concerns with that (C perfringens, and C sordellii to a lesser extent). And I would say that if you did want to narrow this further or have her tissues tested for toxins and mineral levels; then you may want to collect and refrigerate + freeze some samples of this black tissue (we'd want both since bacterial culture and tissue analysis requires non-frozen tissue but toxin tests may be able to use frozen) to have your vet send to the vet lab for analysis. Otherwise, I would advise vaccinating other stock for Clostridal bacteria if they are not already. Please take care,Dr. B. PS- Also, just one more clostridial agent I would also consider for these signs-- C.septicum -Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charolett. How is everything going?

Dr. B.